KDE4 for Mandriva 2008.0

Versione Italiana

11 Jan 08: The instructions have been update for the latest stable release

KDE 4.0 Release Candidate 2: let's try it on Mandriva linux
People have been drooling for it since a long time, so I will not waste time...
The magic spell to add the urpmi sources is the following:
urpmi.addmedia kde4 ftp://ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/unstable/latest/Mandriva/2008.0/i586 with media_info/synthesis.hdlist.cz
Once the media have been added, I suggest you to update your packages and to follow the suggestions:
urpmi --auto-select
Now you are ready to roll the dice! KDE4 will be installed with the following command:
urpmi kdebase4 kdeartwork4 kdeedu4 kdegames4 kdegraphics4 kdemultimedia4 kdenetwork4 kdepim4 kdeutils4
Everything worked flawlessly for me, and in a 20 minutes I could have my first minutes of joy with the amazing plasma!

It is fair to say that the stability and speed of KDE4 cannot be compared with the mature KDE version (3.5.8) I am still running, but it is only matter of time: soon KDE4 will become a wonder. Give developer time to migrate to the new environment and you will see!

If you are shy and do not want to abandon the loyal and friendly KDE3 you have been using for years, I strongly suggest you to try some pieces of KDE4 that are already stable for daily use, like the amazing okular (I did not know I could play with PDF so much since I tried it).

If you want you can add to your .bashrc file the following line:
export PATH=${PATH}:/opt/kde4/bin
Now, even if you log in in a KDE3 or Gnome session you can use easily the KDE4 apss: okular, plasma, dolphin for a example.

If you want to try the new Oxygen window decoration and the new capabilities of the window manager, you are invited to run the following commands:
/opt/kde4/bin/plasma
/opt/kde4/bin/kwin --replace &

Nessun commento: